- Species. Vitis Vinifera species from the Mediterranean for wine grapes.
- Skin Thickness. Table grapes are thinner. To make great wine, the grapes need thicker skins to create better tannins, flavors, and color.
- Sweetness. You would expect that table grapes are sweeter, but it is the opposite. Wine grapes are sweeter to convert the juice into alcohol and add depth.
- Timing. Wine grapes are harvested later in the season allowing enough hang time to sweeten, to enhance flavors and concentration.
- Size. Wine grapes are smaller with concentrated flavors. Table grapes are large bursting with juice and water.
- Yield. The trellising system is very different allowing much higher production per vine for table grapes.
Difference Between Wine & Table Grapes
General Wine Information / May 13th, 2023
There are major differences between wine and table grapes. Here are 6 of them.